Effects of water levies and the benefits from a Community-based water management scheme in George Compound
MetadataShow full item record
This study was carried out in George compound, which is located in the western part of Lusaka. The fieldwork was carried out in August 2000. The aim of the study was to find out the effects of water and the benefits of the community- based water project. The specific objectives were to assess the approximate percentage of households using water provided by the water project; to find out the percentage of households purifying their drinking water amongst the households using shallow wells; to assess the extent of water-borne diseases affecting the community in George compound; and to find out the benefits from the water project.A total of forty households were randomly selected and one respondent from each household each household was interviewed using a questionnaire. Other relevant information was obtained through simple observation and existing literature.The research revealed that presently, 47.5% of the households are using communal taps whilst the remaining 52.5% are still using shallow wells. Of those households using wells, 62% purify their drinking water whilst 38% do not. Between August 1999 and August 2000, only 30% of the households had experienced water-borne diseases in George compound. The types of diseases that were experienced during this period were diarrhoea, cholera and dysentery.The benefits from the water project have been seen through the reduction of water-borne diseases which were previously high. The water project has also brought about convenience due to the location of taps closer to the households and other also amenities which are discussed in chapter five. Other benefits are that time and energy are being conserved since the water sources are nearer. Lastly but not the least, money is also being saved by those households that had to pay for water from vendors.To conclude, it can be said that water levies have both positive and negative effects on the George compound community. The positive effects are those associated with the paying of levies including accessibility to clean and safe water and all the benefits mentioned above. The negative effect of water levies is that those who do not pay the levy have to use shallow wells. This usually leads to a decreased opportunity in accessing safe and clean water, especially if the water is contaminated and not properly treated. This consequently leads to an increase in the incidences of water-borne diseases.
- Natural Sciences